Scholarship Opportunities for Incoming Freshmen
Merit Scholarships For Incoming Freshmen (No Application Required)
- The St. Catherine of Siena Merit Scholarships are offered to incoming freshmen with the highest Entrance Examinations Scores will be awarded one of six four-year partial tuition scholarships. Students awarded merit scholarships are required to maintain a B average and be in good disciplinary standing.
- The S. Joan Marie Meidinger, O.P. Award (one award) was established in 2001 by the alumni of Bishop Quarter Junior Military Academy, a school sponsored by the Adrian Dominican Congregation, to honor S. Joan Meidinger, OP and the award is equal to 25 percent of annual tuition.
- The Betty Schayer Memorial Award (one award) was established in 2003 in memory of Betty Schayer who grew up in Wilmette, and is equal to 25 percent of annual tuition. This scholarship is awarded to the student who receives the second highest composite score on the entrance exam (HSPT) administered at Regina Dominican on testing day.
- The S. Ann Fallon, O.P. Leadership Award (four awards) was established in 1988 to recognize S. Ann Fallon’s years of service to Regina Dominican as both Principal and President, and is equal to 20 percent of annual tuition. This scholarship is awarded to the four students who earn the highest scores, (following the S. Joan Marie Meidinger and Betty Schayer Scholarship awardees) on the High School Placement Test (HSPT) basic skills portion of the test (English, Reading and Math) administered at Regina Dominican on testing day.
- The Dominican Scholar Awards recognize students who have demonstrated strong grade school academic performance and a highly competitive entrance examination score. This $1,000 scholarship is for freshman year only.
Additional Freshman Scholarships (Application Required)
- The Leadership Institute Young Leaders Award (two awards) offers $1,000 scholarships to two students who attend the Regina Dominican Young Leaders Workshop held in November and complete the application that is given out at the Workshop. This scholarship is for freshman year only and is awarded to students
- Who attend the workshop on 11/17
- Attend an 8th grade shadow day
- Take the Entrance Exam at Regina Dominican on Saturday, December 4, 2021.
- The Pastor’s Scholarship was established to recognize high achieving freshman students who will excel at Regina Dominican. This is a 4-year, $2,000 scholarship renewable annually. Recipients must maintain a B average throughout her four years at Regina Dominican.
- Requirements for application:
- Open to Catholic eighth-grade students who are parishioners of: Sts. Joseph & Francis Xavier(Wilmette); Sts. Faith, Hope & Charity(Winnetka); Divine Mercy(Winnetka); St. Norbert & Our Lady of the Brook (Northbrook)
- Requirements for application:
- Take the HSPT at Regina Dominican on December 4, 2021.
- Complete and submit the application by December 4, 2021. Click here for application.
- Obtain and submit a recommendation from the student’s pastor by December 4, 2021.
- The Patricia Astor Gomez Foundation Scholarship is open to all Regina Dominican students with demonstrated financial need. All applicants must complete a FACTS Grant & Aid application and the Patricia Astor Gomez Foundation Scholarship application. DEADLINE for all applications and required recommendations is January 14, 2022. Application documents located at the bottom of this section.
The Thoppil-Pattara Scholarship honors Valsa Elizabeth Pattara and the Thoppil and Pattara families’ commitment to Catholic education. Valsa was a devout Catholic who strived to emulate the Blessed Mother's devotion to Christ. She was educated in all-girls Catholic schools with the support of her parents Ulahanan and Elizabeth Thoppil. She was also a strong supporter of charity and community service.The Thoppils funded libraries in their village in India and also helped many students attend Catholic schools. Valsa and her husband Varghese committed to Catholic education for their children, including Elizabeth Schuster, Regina Dominican High School’s first lay President. The Pattara and Schuster families, as well as donors wishing to honor and remember Valsa, are responsible for endowing this scholarship.This scholarship is a four-year need based award to be given annually for $3,000 per year. The recipient must maintain a B average throughout her four years at Regina Dominican.
Requirements for Application:1. Take the HSPT at Regina Dominican on Saturday, December 4, 2021 at 8 AM.
2. Complete and submit the application which includes answering the following questions in 250 words or less:
3. Provide an example(s) of how and when you demonstrated service towards others and what you learned from the experience(s).
Why is kindness and service towards others important and how do you think you will continue to demonstrate these?
4. Submit a FACTS Grant & Aid application https://online.factsmgt.com/signin/41FXK
5. Submit your application by January 14, 2022 by emailing Kathy Maher at [email protected]
- The Varghese Maliakal Scholarship was established in memory of Varghese Maliakal who was passionately dedicated to the pursuit of intellectual excellence in a female-centered, Catholic, academic environment. His four daughters graduated from Regina Dominican. This scholarship is awarded to an incoming freshman student who has demonstrated superior academic performance and a highly competitive Regina Dominican entrance examination score. Applicants must have demonstrated financial need.
- This award is a four-year, $5,000 scholarship renewable annually. The recipient must maintain a B average throughout her four years at Regina Dominican. Requirements for application:
- Be a Catholic eighth-grade student.
- Take the HSPT test at Regina Dominican on December 4, 2021.
- Complete and submit the application (including a 250-word essay) by January 14, 2022.
- Submit a FACTS Grant & Aid application by January 14, 2022.
- Application documents located at the bottom of this section.
Need-Based Tuition Assistance for All Students
Need-Based Tuition Assistance is awarded annually based on an evaluation of each applicant family’s financial situation. It is our expectation that every Regina Dominican family will take the responsibility of tuition payment seriously and will pay as much of the annual tuition as possible. Despite these efforts, we know that not all families can afford full tuition. In these cases, we offer financial assistance in the form of Regina Dominican Tuition Assistance.
ALL families that wish to be considered for Regina Dominican Tuition Assistance MUST apply through FACTS Grant & Aid, our financial aid processing partner. The application is made through an online application that includes:
- Family financial information including income, expenses, assets, and liabilities
- 2020 Federal tax return and all supporting schedules due January 14, 2022
- 2021 W-2s due February 4, 2022
- A $25 processing fee paid online
For more information or questions, contact Fred Donnelly, Vice President of Finance and Operations, [email protected]
Invest in Kids (Illinois State Tax Credit) Scholarship Program
What is the Invest in Kids Scholarship Program?
Invest in Kids is a state sponsored program established to enable scholarship granting organizations (SGOs) to provide need-based scholarships for K-12 students attending non-public schools in the State of Illinois. Families can apply to multiple SGOs but can only accept an award from one SGO. Awards are based on income and residency guidelines determined by state law. Awards are made annually and families must re-apply each year. Click here for more information.
BIG SHOULDERS SGO
Information about how to apply is at https://empowerillinois.org/students/how-do-i-apply/ (PLEASE READ BEFOREHAND)
Applicants who have submitted a reservation request will receive an email with directions about when and how to complete the rest of the application.
Please have the following ready to upload when requested:
- Proof of income (2019 or 2020 federal tax return)
- Proof of Illinois residency (driver’s license, utility bill, rental agreement, etc.)
Do I Need to Submit a FACTS Grant & Aid Application if I am Applying to Empower Illinois and Big Shoulders SGO?
YES! All students wishing to be considered for financial aid from either Regina Dominican or an Invest in Kids SGO MUST apply through FACTS Grant & Aid by January 15, 2021. The FACTS Grant & Aid application will ask if you are applying for other scholarships, please designate that you will be applying for an Invest in Kids (Tax Credit Funded) Scholarship.
Other Scholarships Available to Returning Students
Returning Student Scholarships are available to current Freshmen, Sophomore, and Junior Students. These scholarships are endowed by generous alumnae and benefactors of Regina Dominican and have different application requirements, including teacher recommendations. DEADLINE for all applications and required recommendations is due January 14, 2022. Requests to teachers for letters of recommendation should be made no later than December 16, 2021. Applications and more information can be found below.
- Patricia Astor Gomez Foundation Scholarship – $1,000 (or more) scholarship for rising Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors
- Mary Elizabeth “Lyz” Heirich ’63 Scholarship – $800 scholarship for rising Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors
- Elizabeth ‘02 and Jacob Kotecki Memorial Scholarship – $2,500 scholarship for rising Seniors
- Maureen Brannen ’83 Scholarship – $7,500 scholarship for Graduating Seniors ONLY
FOR MORE INFORMATION/QUESTIONS ABOUT RETURNING STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS
Contact: Mrs. Kathleen Maher ’80, Assistant to the President
Phone: (847-256-7660, ext. 227 Email: [email protected].
Returning Student Scholarship Application Materials
Additional Scholarship Resources
The organizations listed below provide scholarships and other assistance to students wishing to attend Regina Dominican High School. Please contact the organizations directly for information about application requirements and deadlines. Scholarship decisions are made by these organizations and not by Regina Dominican.
Organizations that Offer Partner Scholarships
- Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund provides high school scholarship assistance and educational support to Chicago students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds. Application Deadline for the Class of 2026: October 1, 2021
Application Link: https://www.tfaforms.com/48998
- Holy Family Scholars (HFS) is a four-year scholarship program that assists economically disadvantaged Chicago area high school students who show academic and leadership promise. The program includes tuition assistance, mentoring, college visits and college admissions support. The Class of 2026 HFS Application opens on: August 1, 2021 and closes November 15, 2021. https://www.hfschicagoscholars.com/application-guidelines
- Link Unlimited Foundation provides educational college preparatory opportunities for economically disadvantaged African-American high school youth. Link Scholars follow a four-year fellowship in academics, leadership, and career and college readiness. The Class of 2026 Scholar Application opens on October 1, 2021. https://linkunlimited.org/be-a-scholar/
- Boys Hope/Girls Hope of Illinois is a residential and academic program serving middle through high school students. Room, board, tuition, and summer activities are provided. CONTACT Tyrina Newkirk (847) 920-2787 directly for more information and go to https://chicagobhgh.org to download a Pre-Application form. A completed Pre-Application form must be submitted before receiving access to the program Application. Additionally, applicants must take the HSPT test on December 5, 2020 at Regina Dominican.
- HighSight provides scholarships, tutoring, mentoring, leadership development and college readiness programs to enable its students to attend and succeed at the private high school of their choice. www.highsight.org APPLICATIONS OPEN TBD
- The Madonna Foundation provides academic support and tuition grants to young women with significant financial need. These grants are for students who intend to apply to an all-girls Catholic high school in Chicago and surrounding suburbs. The Madonna Application will open up on February 1, 2022. https://www.madonnascholars.org/about-us/
- Big Shoulders Fund provides support to students from city schools who value a quality education, preparing students for life-long success while strengthening schools and area communities: